Landscaping Information: Habitat Garden
A Haven for Butterflies and Hummingbirds
As pleasing to your eyes as it is to its winged visitors, this garden shimmers in scarlet, purple, orange, and yellow. It’s vibrant colors and fragrance are most attractive to butterflies and hummingbirds. For best results, plant this garden in full sun. Following are more helpful hints to make your ‘Habitat Garden’ a success.
- Don’t forget to provide a source of water; butterflies prefer sipping from a shallow basin filled with gravel and water. Place another water source nearby for birds to bathe in.
- Place a few flat stones in your garden where butterflies can spread their wings and bask in the sun.
- Add shrubs & trees such as Lilacs, Weigela, and Flowering Crabapples to attract habitat and provide shelter.
- Grow Dill, Fennel, Parsley, and Mint nearby as a food source to encourage successful swallowtail larvae.
- Hang a hummingbird feeder near your garden since these tiny birds must feed almost nonstop.
- Ornamental Grasses are always a good addition to lend grace, texture and year-long beauty to your garden.